Skip to main content

The Weight Room

    The weight room is a very unique place in today's society. 

    Today's society is shifting to focus more on individual feelings, opinions, perceived identities, etc. Although feelings can vary on if this is a good or bad shift, the weight room remains a constant light in the storm of social chaos. I am not talking about corporate gyms that focus on creating an "environment" to improve and retain membership, but rather the weight room in the truest sense of the word. This could be a school weight room, home gym, athletic performance facilities, or anywhere that focuses on improvement, rather than money. 

    In the weight room, the weight is cold and uncaring. It is there ready to humble you and wanting to keep you down. The weight will bully you and make you want to walk away and quit. It doesn't care if you're having a bad day or a good day, if you're really sore or feeling fresh, feeling athletic or feeling slow and sluggish; it doesn't care. The weight will always weigh the same and will continually push you to be a better person. That is the magic of the weight room. 

    Walking in and choosing to become better in spite of a bad day and feeling bad for yourself, forces you to evolve. This mindset forces you to become the best version of yourself through the gauntlet of the weight. If you go under a heavy squat, bench, whatever, you have to get back up. You have to push against the forces trying to keep you down! If you "aren't feeling it," the weight will bully you and keep you down. The weight works one of two ways; either the weight is the bully or you are. 

    So, are you the bully, or are you going to be bullied?

    This lesson translates into every aspect of life. Life is trying to knock us out every chance it gets. Felling the stress and weight of life can and does keep most people down, too weak to get back up. However, you have the CHOICE to stay down or stand back up. I am not saying everyone has the same means, opportunities, etc. But I am saying, you have a say in who you are and what you stand for, and how you want to live your own life. YOU are in control of your life and once you realize that, you CAN stand that weight back up and start bullying life instead of being bullied by it. 

    So, which choice are you going to make?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be An Athlete

What does it mean to be an athlete? According to dictionary.com, an athlete is " a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill." According to this definition, it is not enough to just participate in a sport to be considered an athlete. Yes, you can be a 'born' athlete however, even 'gifted' athletes need to train certain characteristics in order to reach the higher levels of their sport and performance. For this discussion, I will differentiate between the general 'athlete' (normal text) and the athlete  I am discussing on this topic. Additionally, this blog is called 'Strength Coach Thoughts' and are my thoughts on this topic from my background, education, and experience, using sources as needed. I understand this topic will have very different points of view, opinions, ideas, and  perspectives, and I am happy to discuss...

Introduction

Hey everyone, I am Coach Mike and I am a Strength and Conditioning Specialist with roughly 10 years of experience in the field. This experience has ranged from youth LTAD up to professional football, as well as tactical and specialized sports (weightlifting).  Currently, I hold a Master of Science degree in Testing and Human Performance from Concordia University, St. Paul. I am currently in my EdD program for Kinesiology. I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree at John Carroll University.      Certifications include:      National Strength and Conditioning Association:                 Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist,                Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Facilitator     American College of Sports Medicine:                 Exercise Physiologist-Certif...

What's your why?

       One thing I routinely ask and remind my athletes of is their why. Your why is the reason you do what you do both in sports and in life. It is the reason for getting out of bed in the morning; the very reason for your being. Without a why, you are doomed to meander aimlessly through life, like a ship without a port, you have no destination to aim for.       Having a why is probably the single most important thing you can do for your mental, social, and physical well-being. Your why will make you go workout when you don't feel like it, follow your meal plan even when you're bored with it, get up and go to work when you're tired of the same thing, etc. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, "264 million people worldwide live with depression" (Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA, n.d.). I am not saying that having a why is the cure to depression however most of the clinical symptoms of depression could b...