Skip to main content

What's your why?

     One thing I routinely ask and remind my athletes of is their why. Your why is the reason you do what you do both in sports and in life. It is the reason for getting out of bed in the morning; the very reason for your being. Without a why, you are doomed to meander aimlessly through life, like a ship without a port, you have no destination to aim for. 

    Having a why is probably the single most important thing you can do for your mental, social, and physical well-being. Your why will make you go workout when you don't feel like it, follow your meal plan even when you're bored with it, get up and go to work when you're tired of the same thing, etc. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, "264 million people worldwide live with depression" (Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA, n.d.). I am not saying that having a why is the cure to depression however most of the clinical symptoms of depression could be alleviated with a sense of purpose through knowing your why.

    My why is very simple and stems from a mindset instilled in me at a very young age. We have a very limited time on this earth and so many people live a life of mediocrity, never achieving their dreams or goals. This is something that has terrified me to the point that everything I do now, I do with the intent of being the absolute best at it. I understand there are learning curves, but generally, this pursuit of excellence has led me to be more successful in various ways. This drive for success has also led to various doors being open for me that may not have been otherwise, which has allowed me to be where I am now. This drive for greatness is what has led me to stick with weightlifting (through all its frustration), join the Marine Corps, pursue being a paramedic, and eventually work towards my doctorate in kinesiology. 

    So to conclude this thought, knowing your why is essential to your very being. Your why is your reason for doing whatever you do, and the quality in which you do it. Your why doesn't have to be something profound, deep, or insightful, but it does have to be personal and real to you. Finding your why takes time and thought but is deeply rewarding when achieved. 

    So, what's your why?

    References

Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA. (n.d.). Depression. Anxiety Disorders and Depression Research & Treatment | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA. https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/depression 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be An Athlete

What does it mean to be an athlete? According to dictionary.com, an athlete is " a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill." According to this definition, it is not enough to just participate in a sport to be considered an athlete. Yes, you can be a 'born' athlete however, even 'gifted' athletes need to train certain characteristics in order to reach the higher levels of their sport and performance. For this discussion, I will differentiate between the general 'athlete' (normal text) and the athlete  I am discussing on this topic. Additionally, this blog is called 'Strength Coach Thoughts' and are my thoughts on this topic from my background, education, and experience, using sources as needed. I understand this topic will have very different points of view, opinions, ideas, and  perspectives, and I am happy to discuss...

Introduction

Hey everyone, I am Coach Mike and I am a Strength and Conditioning Specialist with roughly 10 years of experience in the field. This experience has ranged from youth LTAD up to professional football, as well as tactical and specialized sports (weightlifting).  Currently, I hold a Master of Science degree in Testing and Human Performance from Concordia University, St. Paul. I am currently in my EdD program for Kinesiology. I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree at John Carroll University.      Certifications include:      National Strength and Conditioning Association:                 Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist,                Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Facilitator     American College of Sports Medicine:                 Exercise Physiologist-Certif...