Skip to main content

Introduction

Hey everyone, I am Coach Mike and I am a Strength and Conditioning Specialist with roughly 10 years of experience in the field. This experience has ranged from youth LTAD up to professional football, as well as tactical and specialized sports (weightlifting). 

Currently, I hold a Master of Science degree in Testing and Human Performance from Concordia University, St. Paul. I am currently in my EdD program for Kinesiology. I completed my Bachelor of Arts degree at John Carroll University. 

    Certifications include: 

    National Strength and Conditioning Association: 

            Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist,

            Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Facilitator

    American College of Sports Medicine: 

            Exercise Physiologist-Certification,

            Exercise Is Medicine 2

    USA Weightlifting 

            level 2

    Stronger Experts 

            Weightlifting Certification

    Precision Nutrition 

            level 1

    This blog will serve as a platform to discuss my thoughts on various issues in strength and conditioning and coaching in general. This will provide a broad range of topics to cover and all posts will include peer-reviewed research (when applicable and available). I am not sure what I am looking for through this other than a place to better my knowledge and collect my thoughts, but if you read through this and follow this, I hope you find value in this endeavor as well. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be An Athlete

What does it mean to be an athlete? According to dictionary.com, an athlete is " a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill." According to this definition, it is not enough to just participate in a sport to be considered an athlete. Yes, you can be a 'born' athlete however, even 'gifted' athletes need to train certain characteristics in order to reach the higher levels of their sport and performance. For this discussion, I will differentiate between the general 'athlete' (normal text) and the athlete  I am discussing on this topic. Additionally, this blog is called 'Strength Coach Thoughts' and are my thoughts on this topic from my background, education, and experience, using sources as needed. I understand this topic will have very different points of view, opinions, ideas, and  perspectives, and I am happy to discuss...

What's your why?

       One thing I routinely ask and remind my athletes of is their why. Your why is the reason you do what you do both in sports and in life. It is the reason for getting out of bed in the morning; the very reason for your being. Without a why, you are doomed to meander aimlessly through life, like a ship without a port, you have no destination to aim for.       Having a why is probably the single most important thing you can do for your mental, social, and physical well-being. Your why will make you go workout when you don't feel like it, follow your meal plan even when you're bored with it, get up and go to work when you're tired of the same thing, etc. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, "264 million people worldwide live with depression" (Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA, n.d.). I am not saying that having a why is the cure to depression however most of the clinical symptoms of depression could b...